Student Life FAQ

Expand all
What is the standard work week in Israel?

The Israeli work week is from Sunday to Thursday, with a few offices also open on Friday mornings. In keeping with this at TAU, administrative offices are open and courses are held from Sunday to Thursday.

The Israeli weekend is Friday and Saturday. Stores in Israel are generally open from Sunday to Friday afternoon, closing Friday early evening and opening again on Saturday evening or Sunday morning.

How much should I expect to pay for food and living expenses?

You should plan to spend from $500- $700 per month for food, independent travel, and other expenses. Of course, this is an estimate and it varies from person to person.

Where can I eat on campus? Do I need to cook my own meals?

There is no “meal plan” at TAU. Student housing includes kitchens where you can prepare meals; there are several supermarkets near campus, as well as shops that sell prepared foods. University-subsidized cafeterias on campus also serve excellent kosher meals at very reasonable prices, and there are plenty of restaurants and cafés close to campus.

Should I be nervous about safety and security?

The safety of our students is our highest priority. Like all public institutions in Israel, TAU employs a network of security personnel covering all campus entrances and patrolling throughout the campus and dormitory complex 24 hours a day. Students should always be prepared to show student cards or other picture ID and submit bags for search.

TAU's Security Department maintains close contact with government security agencies, and international students are regularly updated regarding security matters. Specific security information will be given at the student orientation.

TAU International also requires all students to carry a mobile telephone. This allows our staff to contact all international students at any time in case of a security situation.

What if I get sick while in Israel?

Your welfare is of paramount concern to us, and all international students are covered by an Israeli insurance policy included in each program’s tuition fees.
Read more about insurance at TAU

What travel documents do I need?

All visitors to Israel must hold a passport that is valid for at least six months from the date they enter the country. See visa information for further details on student visas.

Where can I find a university map?

For a university map, click here!

Tel Aviv University makes every effort to respect copyright. If you own copyright to the content contained here and / or the use of such content is in your opinion infringing, Contact us as soon as possible >>
Tel Aviv University, P.O. Box 39040, Tel Aviv 6997801, Israel
UI/UX Basch_Interactive